Monday, May 30, 2011

Goals

I'm trying to take a more balanced approach to exercise. Taking into account time limitations, physical ability and also enjoyment.

I like bodyweight/gymnastics stuff, so that is going to be a big part. I really like cleans (never thought i would say that a year ago) , OHS, front squats...don't mind thrusters.

I hate back squats and deadlifts. Sure they are two very important exercises that anyone would tell you should be in any serious strength program. The bottom line is , I am a weekend warrior that wants to stay fit and strong, really to keep up with my kids. I will get the deadlift advantages somewhat with cleans and the back squats advantages with Front squats and OHS. I then get to actually enjoy what I am doing.

I have this theory that sounds right for me. I want to be able to move my bodyweight very easily in all directions (gymnastics) . I can already do this and love the feeling that I can control my body well. The other thing I want to be able to do is lift the equivalent of my bodyweight (67kg) on a bar comfortably in a number of different directions. Clean, jerk, OHS etc. If both of these things are present I think i will have a good balance.

Goals - Lets list them

Gymnastics
Ring HSPU
Free standing HSPU
1 min Lsit

Weights
5 x BW clean - Shouldn't be too far off, can easily do 1
5 x BW Jerk - Not sure about this haven't done heavy jerks in ages
5 x BW OHS - did 2 yesterday, 5 should be in the near future

So the weights goals are really short to medium term and the gymnastics stuff is just fun, challenging stuff. Once I reach these it will be more about maintainence than continuous improvement.

We'll see how I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment